CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News


Homepage > News > Biz >

China invests in large South African cement plant

05-14-2010 15:32 BJT

JOHANNESBURG, May 13 (Xinhua) -- Leading South African investment company Women Investment Portfolio Holdings (Wiphold) said on Thursday that it has signed a 1,65 billion rand (220, 000 million U.S. dollar) deal with a Chinese consortium to build a new cement plant in South Africa's Limpopo Province.

Jidong Development Group of China will build the cement plant along with Continental Cement of South Africa, while the China African Development (CAD) Fund will provide most of the capital required, Business Day newspaper in South Africa said on Thursday.

In an emailed statement to media, Wiphold said the deal represents a significant foreign direct investment into the South African cement industry.

Wiphold projected an inflow of more than 800 million rands (106.6 million dollar) foreign direct investment from China. It said 45 percent of this will be equity investment, with the remaining 55 percent in the form of commercial debt. South Africa's Nedbank Capital had been appointed as lead arranger for the transaction.

Jidong and the CADFund would hold the majority of shares in the joint venture at 51 percent, while Wiphold would get 23.9 percent and Conticem 25.1 percent.

"The project, which will inject at least R1.65 billion of investment into the South African economy over the next two years, will significantly increase South Africa's cement production capacity, while also contributing to economic activity and job creation in Limpopo, one of the poorest provinces in the country," said Gloria Serobe, chief executive of Wipcapital, a financial services subsidiary of Wiphold.

The new plant would be located 85 km north of Brits and adjacent to Conticem's limestone deposits.

It would be designed to produce 2,500 tons of pure ordinary Portland cement per day initially, with the capacity to significantly increase production, according to market demand.

Editor:Zhang Jingya |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program