CANBERRA, June 25 (Xinhua) -- Australia's authority on Friday warned that fraudsters have been trying to cash in on World Cup fever by sending unsolicited text messages claiming the recipient has just won millions of dollars in a lottery.
In a statement, Victorian Consumer Affairs Minister Tony Robinson said people should not be fooled by a so-called "FIFA World Cup" text which invites recipients to claim prizes of more than 5 million U.S. dollars by contacting an overseas email address or mobile phone number.
It was the work of con artists trying to fleece naive consumers, Robinson said and urged people to trash the text message.
"This bogus lottery is nothing more than a scam designed to get your personal and financial details, leaving you open to fraud and identity theft," Robinson warned.
"Don't be fooled -- you can't win a lottery you never entered."
The Australian Communications and Media Authority has issued a warning about the scams earlier this week.