GUANLING, Guizhou, July 3 (Xinhua) -- Rescuers have recovered 42 bodies while 57 people remain missing six days after a landslide in southwest China's Guizhou Province, rescue headquarters said Saturday.
Despite the scorching hot weather, more than 700 rescuers and 26 excavators are working at the site of the landslide in Dazhai Village, Gangwu Township of Guanling County.
Rescuers had been looking for signs of life, but have found no survivors, said Pu Jianjiang, head of the search team.
The landslide occurred at 2:30 p.m. on June 28, burying 99 people.
A total of 952 people from 244 families living in nearby areas have been safely evacuated. Most of them are now living in 529 tents in two resettlement centers, said officials from the rescue headquarters.
The supply of food, drinking water and other daily necessities in the resettlement center remain sufficient, said Zhen Yanchi, deputy head of the provincial civil affairs department.
Meanwhile, workers were strengthening a building about 8 km away from the landslide site to accommodate resettled people.
"Although anti-epidemic measures had been adopted in all the tents, the hot weather might easily trigger diseases, so we want to relocate the villagers," Zhen said.
The county hospital also dispatched medical personnel to take care of pregnant women and infants. Officials noted that more than 160 items of children's clothing have been distributed in the resettlement centers.
To prevent the outbreak of disease, 188 medical workers have disinfected an area of 10,000 square km around Dazhai Village.
After days of aerial examination, workers with the land and resources department have found 25 sites at risk of possible landslides in a 90 km area around the buried site.
Experts and officials are working on plans to shore up buildings or relocate the local people who total 2,497 in 25 sites.