BUENOS AIRES, July 5 (Xinhua) -- Argentine soccer player Lionel Messi said that the national soccer team "was not able to fulfill the wish" of the soccer fans at the World Cup of South Africa.
Messi said that he feels "terrible bad" for the elimination at the quarter-finals after losing 4-0 to Germany.
"I feel terribly bad, I want to go back home. We did not play well and we have to start from the beginning," Messi wrote in his blog.
Messi added that "we did not fulfill the expectations of many people."
Messi had a good performance during the first round, when Argentina won the first place of the Group B, however in the second round his level lowered.
Messi returned to Buenos Aires on Sunday, he and the rest of the team were welcomed by thousands of fans at the international airport of Ezeiza.
- 04/07/10 Why did Argentina lose so big? 2010-07-05
- Fans react to German's victory over Argentina 2010-07-04
- Germany defeats Argentina 4-0, moves to Semifinals 2010-07-04
- Argentina prepare for Germany test 2010-07-01
- Loew: Hard to find weak spot on Argentina 2010-07-01
- Argentina beat Mexico 3-1 2010-06-28
- Argentine player Messi not desperate for personal goal 2010-06-23