BEIJING, July 7 (Xinhua) -- A man stood trial Wednesday at a court in Beijing for allegedly killing two and injuring 14 others in the capital's downtown area in 2009.
Zhang Jianfei, 48, was charged with endangering public security by stabbing two to death and injuring another 14 in the Dashila area on Sept. 17 last year, the Beijing No.1 Intermediate People's Court said in a statement.
Tourists, security guards and salesmen at roadside shops were among the victims.
Zhang, a former worker at a primary school in Yongji County, northeast China's Jilin Province, denied the charges. He said he was drunk at that time and couldn't remember the stabbing spree.
Families of the victims have demanded civil compensations.
The court did not deliver a verdict Wednesday.