SEOUL, July 12 (Xinhua) -- After South Korea's diplomatic drive to muster up international support for censuring the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) for sinking one of its warships resulted in what many say is a disappointingly bland presidential statement, Seoul is now left to deal with apparent peace overtures from its wartime rival.
ROOM FOR INTERPRETATION
The DPRK, which has denied any involvement in the alleged torpedo attack in March on the South Korean corvette Cheonan, said it is "satisfied" with the United Nations Security Council's presidential statement last week, which "deplored" the attack and expressed "deep concern."
The presidential statement by the 15-member council shied away from directly naming the DPRK as the culprit for the tragic sinking, which took scores of lives of South Korean sailors. Seoul 's foreign ministry officially welcomed the statement, while many observers said it lacked any meaningful action that could deter further aggression from north of the border.
The UN statement, which took note of Pyongyang's insistence on its innocence, left much room for conflicting interpretations on the part of the two Koreas so that they can seek an "exit strategy " from the fierce diplomatic competition on the global stage, observers said.
Pyongyang, seen to be hailing the toned-down statement, said it will continue its efforts for denuclearization on the Korean peninsula and a peace treaty with South Korea to replace a ceasefire, which has left the two Koreas technically at war since the 1950-53 Korean War ended with a ceasefire, by returning to the moribund six-party nuclear talks.