MACAO, July 16 (Xinhua) -- Macao Cultural Affairs Bureau was considering launching the night tour program at every local UNESCO World Heritage site next year, the Macao Post Daily reported on Friday.
The Cultural Affairs Bureau, which overlooks the management of local heritage sites, has already extended the opening hours of three such sites to 11 p.m. from last night till Saturday night, as part of the activities to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the UNESCO World Heritage inscription of the Historic Center of Macao. "We hope we can have a more flexible schedule of heritage sites ' opening hours next year to attract tourists to come to our heritage city," the daily quoted Chan Chak Seng, vice president of the Bureau, as saying.
But he also said that the decision will be may based on the visitor habits and relevant statistics.
The Historic Centre of Macao is a living representation of the city's historic western settlement, comprising architectural legacies interwoven amongst the original urban fabric illustrating the first and most lasting encounter between China and the western world. It incorporates 25 streetscapes and piazzas such as Senado Square, A-Ma Temple, Ruins of St. Paul's, Mount Fortress, St. Anthony's Church, Casa Garden, etc.
Chan also said that the authorities will do their best to coordinate if having all the other sites open at night is what the visitors want and if it helps to extend their stay in Macao.
The city's visitor arrivals in the first five months of this year exceeded 10 million, an increase of 15.8 percent over last year, of which 53 percent are visitors from the Chinese mainland, according to the latest figures from the SAR's Tourist Office.
- Usher tour hits Macao 2010-07-16
- Macao to add another ferry terminal in 2013 2010-07-14
- Macao residents to receive cash handout from local govt 2010-07-14