SEOUL, July 19 (Xinhua) -- The U.S.-led United Nations Command and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will not hold another round of working-level talks before the upcoming security talks between Seoul and Washington, a UNC official said Monday.
A UNC official said the UNC and the DPRK will not hold a colonel-level meeting Tuesday as reported earlier in the day by local media here, and that such a meeting will take place after the so-called "two plus two" security talks slated for Wednesday.
Following the first round of a working-level meeting last week, the two sides have been planning on the second round of talks to pave the way for a general-level meeting over the sinking of a South Korean warship in March.
Details of the 90-minute talks on July 15 have not been officially released, but local media reported the DPRK insisted on sending its own probe team to investigate the sinking, which killed 46 South Korean sailors. The UNC, on the other hand, believes the issue should be addressed within the framework of the armistice agreement that ended the 1950-53 Korean War.
As part of a trust-building measure, the command and the DPRK have held 16 general-level talks since 1998, and the latest round was held in March 2009.
The upcoming security talks between Seoul and Washington will bring together U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Defense Secretary Robert Gates, South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung- hwan and Defense Minister Kim Tae-young.