PYONGYANG, July 23 (Xinhua) -- The representative of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to the second round of DPRK-U.S. colonel-level talks on Friday urged the U.S. to stop the "Ulji Freedom Guardian" military maneuvers that will be jointly held by the U.S. and South Korea.
According to the KCNA, the representative of the DPRK side said in the talks held at Panmunjom that the U.S. had been persisting in anti-DPRK military operations while alleging it would like to resolve problems through talks. The double-dealing move is so dangerous that it will lead the situation of the peninsula to a war state.
When it comes to the "Cheonan" case, the representative of the DPRK side urged the U.S. to unconditionally receive the inspection group dispatched by the DPRK. It was necessary to investigate the truth of the incident objectively and scientifically, he said. The investigation by the DPRK is the precondition of DPRK-U.S. general-level talks and improving north-south relations.
The representative offered a concrete program over dispatching an inspection group. According to the program, the number of the members is 20 to 30, the time is three to five days long, investigation methods includes inspecting in the scene, analyzing the evidence, hearing the testimony and collecting data. The inspection group will get across the Panmunjom by their own cars and the U.S. side should provide convenience, guarantee their safety and so on.
According to reports, the third DPRK-U.S. colonel-level talks will be held at Panmunjom on July 29.
The first round of DPRK-U.S. colonel-level talks to prepare for the DPRK-U.S. general-level talks were held on July 15. According to the KCNA, the two sides had reached agreement on the time, venue, representatives and topics.
The 1,200-ton "Cheonan" with 104 crew members onboard sank on March 26 near the maritime border with the DPRK after an unexplained explosion. Only 58 sailors were rescued after the sinking. South Korean investigators issued the results of the investigation on May 20 that the "Cheonan" was sunken by a torpedo of the DPRK.
A spokesman for the DPRK National Defence Commission issued a statement on May 20 to reject the claim of the south and indicated intent to send an inspection group to the south to verify material evidence. However the south rejected that request.
As one of the countermeasures to the "Cheonan" case, the U.S. and South Korea will hold a naval maneuver in the east sea of S. Korea from July 25 to 28, and a maneuver named "Ulji Freedom Guardian" from August 16 to 26.
- DPRK to keep communication with China on resuming Six-Party Talks 2010-07-23
- DPRK says U.S.-South Korean military drills violate sovereignty, vows "physical response" 2010-07-23
- DPRK says willing to maintain communication with China on restarting Six-Party Talks 2010-07-23
- Clinton and DPRK attend ASEAN conference 2010-07-23