CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

Venezuelan President suspends trip to Cuba, fearing a Colombian military raid

07-26-2010 11:11 BJT

CARACAS, July 25 (Xinhua) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez suspended on Sunday his trip to Cuba in fear of an imminent Colombian military raid to his country aided by the U.S. Forces.

During a massive meeting with his followers that was broadcast by state-run TV channel Venezolana de Television (VTV), Chavez said that if Venezuela is raided by Colombia his government will immediately stop the oil supply to the United States.

Chavez also announced to apply internal measure against the governors of the opposition to neutralize the support of anti- revolutionary sectors to the foreign forces. Chavez said these measures will also be applied to the media and civil organizations against his government.

"Let's not be panic. We are threatened by the Yankee Empire," Chavez said. He also mentioned the U.S. bases established in Colombia and he added that the United States invent excuses to attack, invade, kidnap or kill the president of any country.

Chavez said that the United States invented the existence of massive destruction weapons in Iraq to invade it and that they also invaded Panama to kidnap the then President Manuel Antonio Noriega.

Chavez also said that the United States had deployed a naval fleet in case of an aggression against Venezuela to stop the reactions of Caribbean countries such as Cuba or Nicaragua.

Chavez also ordered Vice President Elias Jaua to investigate against Tachira's governor Cesar Perez who has given declarations supporting Colombian President Alvaro Uribe.

Chavez also said that he will watch over Zulia's governor Pablo Perez who according to him has contact with the Colombian violent groups and added that states is an open flank for the empire to use it.

Chavez said that "the armed conflict is boosted by the Yankee empire, since long ago at the border with Colombia. It is nothing new that paramilitaries enter Venezuela to rob, kill and kidnap," Chavez said.

Chavez had planed to travel to Cuba, as he had been invited by Cuban leader Raul Castro to attend Monday's celebration of the 57th Anniversary of Moncada Quarter Assault.

 

Editor:Zhang Pengfei |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program