SEOUL, July 30 (Xinhua) -- The U.S.-led U.N. Command (UNC) and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) will have another round of meeting early next month to arrange a timetable for general-level talks, the UNC said.
During Friday's two-hour meeting at the truce village of Panmunjom, colonels from the two sides continued their discussions for general-level talks, the UNC said. At the end of the meeting, the two sides tentatively agreed to meet again on Aug. 9, it added.
Representatives of the UNC and the DPRK first met on July 15.
At the previous meeting held on July 23, the UNC proposed a joint group assess any armistice violations in the March sinking of a South Korean warship, whereas the DPRK repeatedly demanded a high-level team be dispatched to the South to conduct its own investigations into the matter.
A team of multinational investigators concluded in May that a DPRK submarine fired the torpedo that sank the warship in what Seoul called the worst military provocation on South Korea since the 1950-53 Korean War. But the DPRK denied any involvement.
The general-level talks between the U.S.-led UNC and the DPRK, served as a measure to ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula, have been launched in 1998. Since then, 16 rounds of talks have been convened. The last similar talks took place on March 2 and March 6, 2009.