CHANGCHUN, Aug. 2 (Xinhua) -- Floods have left 63 people dead and 59 missing in northeast China's Jilin Province over the past two months, local authorities said Monday.
|The aerial photo taken on July 30, 2010 shows the flood-battered area in Antu |
County of Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture, northeast China's Jilin Province.
Additionally, about 62,000 houses have collapsed and 193,000 others have been damaged, along with 1.16 million hectares of cropland having been inundated, the statement said.
Direct economic losses were estimated at almost 19 billion yuan (2.8 billion U.S. dollars), it added.
In the hardest-hit areas, flash floods have cut roads, isolated villages and disrupted communications and water supplies.
In the industrial city of Tonghua, torrential rains have damaged water pipelines, leaving 300,000 people without tap water for two days.
Residents have largely relied on bottled water over the past 48 hours as authorities ordered 25 fire trucks to deliver water for domestic purposes aside from drinking to residential communities from 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. everyday.
About 1,700 tons of water had been delivered by truck, officials said.
- Northeast China expects heavy rain 2010-07-26
- Rainstorms hit northeast China, 152,000 people relocated 2010-07-23