MACAO, Aug. 9 (Xinhua) -- Construction on the main routes of Macao's Light Rapid Transit (LRT) project was scheduled to break ground early next year, Macao Post Daily reported on Monday, quoting local officials as saying.
A lawsuit launched by a company bidding on the construction tender, changes to the routes, and other reasons have led to the delay of the project, which was originally planned to start in 2008 and be completed in 2011.
The Transportation Infrastructure Office of Macao, which overlooks the LRT project, still need to add some minor designs to the project following the bidding process, the daily quoted a spokesman of the Office as saying.
The government of Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) has previously said that the successful bid for the project will be announced in the third quarter of this year.
The first phase of the project could still be completed in 2014, the spokesman also said.
The SAR government has said that the cost of the first phase of the project was expected to increase to 7.5 billion patacas (938 million U.S. dollars).