HAVANA, Aug. 11 (Xinhua) -- Israel is planing an attack on Iran but will not be the first to start the war for fear of severe consequences, former Cuban President Fidel Castro said Wednesday.
|Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro gestures during the National Assembly in Havana August |
7, 2010. (Xinhua/Reuters File Photo)
Castro said that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "would not dare to be the first to attack, because such an action would make him face all the nuclear powers and he is not stupid."
Castro added "Obama would have no other alternatives than ordering the deaths of hundreds of millions of innocent people, and the crew of the U.S warships near Iran would be the first victims (...) ."
Castro has been warning for over a month of the danger of a nuclear war as a consequence of Washington and Tel Aviv's confrontations with Tehran.
He argues that the war could happen as soon as the United Sates tries to apply the new UN Resolution adopted in June, which imposed additional sanctions on Iran in response to its controversial nuclear plan.
"Iran's authorities will not allow that," Castro said.
Earlier this month, U.S. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mike Mullen said the United States has a plan in place to attack Iran, if it is necessary.
"Military actions have been on the table and remain on the table" for curbing Iran's nuclear ambition, Mullen, the highest ranking U.S. military officer, told NBC's "Meet the Press".
Iranian military officials have dismissed the U.S. threats, saying Iran has prepared defensive plans to face any threats by the enemies.