A 600-year-old Catholic Church was found in a small village of Sangyu, located along the ancient roads of western Beijing. This church, which could be dated back to the Yuan Dynasty (1206-1368), brings a foreign flavor to the ancient village.
|A 600-year-old Catholic Church was found in a small village of Sangyu, located|
along the ancient roads of western Beijing.
An ancient courtyard full of moss, mottled walls and caved beams provide visitors a journey through time. The Catholic faith was spread to China during the Yuan Dynasty with the incursion of the Inner Mongolian Army. During that time, western Catholic missionaries were famous for medical service. They preached the gospel to Sangyu and built the church in 1334 named "Sacred Heart of Jesus Church," belonging to the Beijing parish. Believers had then grown to more than 100.
In 1534, the Thirteenth Year of Jiangjing of the Qing Dynasty (1636-1912), the church had its first reconstruction, growing to 5 rooms. The plaque above the gate booking "All have a true source" was also added during that time. After several reconstructions, the church was rebuilt into a two-storey building from a small building with 2 rooms during the Yuan Dynasty. The church is known as the largest and oldest Catholic Church in the Beijing suburb so far.
|A 600-year-old Catholic Church was found in a small village|
of Sangyu, located along the ancient roads of western Beijing.
The last renovations were completed in 1988. Despite several reconstructions, the church has maintained its original gothic style and its exterior view gives visitors a holy feeling. On every Lord's Day, the church is filled with believers from the village. Old and even worn-put hymn books and Holy Bibles tell the miraclethe succes about sion of the Catholic faith in this very small village.