ANKARA, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- Charles Abouo scored 19 points to lead Cote d'Ivoire to an 88-79 win over Puerto Rico here on Thursday at the basketball world championship in group C, sending China to the knockout round on a three-team tiebreaker.
Cote d'Ivoire head coach Coast Randoald Dessarzin said Thursday that he was quitting although it was a difficult situation.
"I will never forget this game," Dessarzin told a press conference.
Cote d'Ivoire player Muhamed Kone said they were supposed to win by 12 points, but failed to do so, adding it's a good experience for the players and they would do their best to be successful in the future.
Puerto Rico's deputy coach Omar Gonzalez said the team could not concentrate on the game at the beginning, and said the game was a good victory for Cote d'Ivoire but a saddening result for Puerto Rico.
- Basketball World Championships: China advances out of Group C thanks to point differential 2010-09-03
- World Basketball Championship: China in danger of early basketball exit 2010-09-02
- Video: World Basketball Championships: France beats Canada 68-63 2010-09-01
- Video: World Basketball Championship: Turkey dominates Greece 76-65 2010-09-01
- Video: World Basketball Championship: Spain stunned by Lithuania 76-73 2010-09-01