MANILA, Sept. 5 (Xinhua) -- Philippine National Police chief Director General Jesus Verzosa on Sunday took full responsibility over the bungled operation during Aug. 23 hostage taking at the Quirino grandstand that left eight Hong Kong tourists and the hostage-taker killed.
Verzosa implied that his decision to retire on Sept. 15 is not related to the ugly result of the hostage crisis, saying he has announced his intention to leave the service last month. He is reaching the mandatory retirement age of 56 in December.
"My decision to render an early retirement has been announced more than a month ago. More than ever, it is imperative to take responsibility especially with regards to what has transpired in the past week," said Verzosa.
Incidentally, President Benigno Aquino III has also taken responsibility over the incident last week. The public saw on national television the police's incompetent performance in assaulting the tourist bus seized by dismissed police officer Rolando Mendoza.
"In this regard, as chief of the national police, I take responsibility and accountability of all the PNP units and all police personnel in everything they do and failed to do," said Verzosa.
The PNP chief assured that the PNP exhausted all means "in order to attain the effective resolution of the incident."
"The PNP will not undergo a time of transition. The support and cooperation of every sector, most especially the public, is needed, " said Verzosa, referring to his impending retirement.
"It is now time to move forward and start anew. Rest assured that the national police will continue its sworn duty to serve and protect as well as tender credible, effective and reliable service to the public," said Verzosa.