MANILA, Sept. 7 (Xinhua) -- Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Tuesday he was just awaiting for the result of the investigation as he assured that "nobody will be absolved" in the botched hostage rescue attempt on August 23.
"Those who will be found to have shortcomings will be given appropriate penalties," he said.
Last week, Aquino admitted that he was taking responsibility of the bungled hostage rescue operation which left eight Hong Kong tourists dead. The hostage-taker, a dismissed policeman, was also killed during the assault.
Aquino told reporters Tuesday that he was the one who had the final say in appointing the policemen who handled the crisis.
"Even if there were many recommendations in the chain of command, at the end of the day, I am the appointing authority. Somebody has to take the responsibility and there should also be someone who will be responsible to address the shortcomings that had happened," he said.
Aquino has formed the Incident Investigation and Review Committee (IIRC) to investigate the hostage crisis. The IIRC is a multisectoral team headed by Justice Secretary Leila de Lima. The IIRC is expected to finish its investigation this week.