CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

Atletico Madrid President explains decision to sell Simao to Besiktas

12-15-2010 11:08 BJT

MADRID, Dec. 14 (Xinhua) -- Atletico Madrid President Enrique Cerezo this Tuesday explained the club's decision to sell Portuguese international winger Simao Sabrosa to Turkish side Besiktas.

Simao will leave Atletico in January after three and a half seasons with the club and the Atletico President explained that the decision to sell the 31-year-old had been taken after the club had failed to make him an offer for a new contract.

Simao would have been out of contract at the end of June 2011 and able to leave on a free transfer, by selling him, Atletico assure they recuperate at least a nominal fee.

"We have not been able to make him reach an understanding with us," said Cerezo in Tuesday's edition of El Mundo Deportivo.

The President explained that it was the player who wanted to go, but implied that Simao had taken his decision as a result of Atletico's inactivity.

"He has taken his decision because we have not make him an offer to continue. He understands that we are not interested in keeping him and he has done very well in deciding to leave," said Cerezo about Simao.

Cerezo also looked to the future and confirmed that the club has an agreement to sign Brazilian midfielder Elias, although he added there would be no further additions to the squad this January.

"Elias is the only player who is going to come here, everyone else is already here," he said.

Meanwhile the Spanish press are already speculating that Atletico have set their sights on signing Osasuna's former Real Madrid and Espanyol winger, Juanfran to replace Simao next season.

Editor:Zheng Limin |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program