CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

Canada sends more troops to NATO-led mission in Libya

04-07-2011 15:59 BJT Special Report:Int'l Intervention in Libya |

OTTAWA, April 6 (Xinhua) -- Canada has sent another 200 military personnel to join the NATO-led mission in Libya, a senior officer said Wednesday.

So far, up to 570 members of the Canadian Forces have been sent to the Mediterranean, including pilots, marines and a small number of special forces soldiers headquartered in Malta, to enforce the UN Security Council's no-fly zone over Libya, Brigadier-General Richard Blanchette told reporters.

Code-named by Canada as Operation MOBILE, the mission also involves six CF-18s at a base in Trapani, Italy, with two CC-150 refueling tankers as well as approximately 140 supporting personnel.

Canada also deployed its frigate HMCS Charlottetown, with 240 crew equipped with a Sea King helicopter, in the waters off Libya, one C-17 Globemaster strategic transport aircraft and two C-130J Hercules tactical transport aircraft as well as a military reconnaissance team of 13 soldiers in Malta.

Canadian fighter jets have attacked targets in Libya in the first actual combat mission since 1999, when they joined the NATO bombardment of the former Yugoslavia to stop ethnic violence against Kosovo Albanians.

The UN Security Council on March 17 adopted a resolution to authorize a no-fly zone over Libya and called for "all necessary measures," excluding troops on the ground, to protect civilians under threat of attack in the North African country.

However, the allies led by the United States and NATO have so far attacked military as well as some civilian targets in Libya to crack down on the Libyan government led by Muammar Gaddafi.

Editor:Yang Jie |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program