CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

Two killed, over 30 wounded in Peru mining protest

04-08-2011 09:40 BJT

LIMA, April 7 (Xinhua) -- Two people died and over 30 were wounded Thursday in southern Peru when a protest against a mining project turned violent and protestors and security personal clashed.

Carlos Mateo, chief of National Police of Peru (PNP), said the clashes

occurred during a protest by local citizens against the southern copper mine of Tia Maria where workers and their relatives for two weeks have protested against what they say is the mine's exploitation of the area.

The protestors say the Tia Maria copper mine has contaminated the local

environment and the water in the rivers has had a negative impact on the local agriculture production in Peru' s southern province of Islay.

Earlier on Thursday, police fired tear gas from a helicopter against

protestors who were blocking the road that connects the southern cities of

Mollendo, Matarani and Arequipa. A man of about 50 years of age was killed, and three others seriously wounded were taken to a local hospital.

The Tia Maria mine belongs to the Mexico's Peru Copper Corporation which has invested almost 116 million dollars out of a 950 million dollar investment project in the mine.

Earlier this week Peru' s government issued an order that temporarily suspends for 180 days an environmental impact study of Tia Maria.

 

Editor:Zhang |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more
Hot Stories more

Embassy: 2 Chinese nationals aboard capsized S Korean ship

The Chinese embassy in Seoul has confirmed two Chinese citizens were on board the ferry. Staff from the embassy has visited their families. Of the ferry’s 475 passengers, 9 have been confirmed dead. 179 people have been rescued and 287 are still missing.

Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines

Eight people were killed and over a dozen others were injured when a wayward truck plowed to several vehicles along a national road in this southern Philippine city over the weekend, police said Sunday.

Fmr Egyptian president accused of ordering killing of activists

Morsi is accused of ordering the killing of activists on December 5th 2012. The brief session was televised, but some Egyptians are beginning to lose interest in the drawn out trial.

More Video News

Choose TV Program