CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

French lawyers to file lawsuit against Sarkozy over bombing in Libya

05-30-2011 19:13 BJT

TRIPOLI, May 30 (Xinhua) -- Former French Foreign Minister Roland Dumas and another French lawyer said Sunday they were planning to file a lawsuit against French President Nicolas Sarkozy for crimes against humanity in Libya.

Dumas and Jacques Verges had offered to represent victims of the NATO bombings in Libya to begin legal proceedings against Sarkozy in the French courts.

"This is brutal, brutal aggression against a sovereign country," Dumas told a press conference attended by 30 representatives of the victims' families in Tripoli.

He said he was ready to defend Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi should the latter be sent to the International Criminal Court in The Hague.

Verges, for his part, said "we are going to break the wall of silence."

The French lawyers were paying a two-day visit to Libya to meet bombing victims and their families to collect firsthand materials about the legal charges.

Despite Western denial of civilian casualties caused by the two-month-old bombings, Dumas said he had seen several civilian victims at a hospital and had been told by one of its doctors that there were as many as 20,000 victims.

"At the moment we have been retained, we have a mandate on behalf of the victims of the military bombardment of NATO, who carried out their military action against civilians with the artificial -- very artificial -- cover of the United Nations," Dumas said.

The two lawyers said they would begin legal proceedings against Sarkozy as soon as they return to France Monday.

The world's major powers, Britain, the United States and France, started on March 19 strikes from the air and the sea against the Gaddafi forces.

Editor:Xiong Qu |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program