CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

Suspect admits carrying out Oslo attacks, trial starts Monday

07-25-2011 10:37 BJT Special Report:Norway Shocked by Twin Attacks |

by Devapriyo Das

OSLO, July 24 (Xinhua) -- The suspect in Friday's bomb attack and shooting massacre in Oslo, Norway, has admitted responsibility and will appear in a court here Monday, according to authorities and his lawyer.

A picture of Anders Behring Breivik taken from a book downloaded from a link posted on the Norwegian discussion website, www.freak.no, and entitled "2083 - A European Declaration of Independence", is seen in this screen grab made July 23, 2011. (Xinhua/Reuters Photo)

Anders Behring Breivik, 32, will appear before the judges to "explain himself." If convicted, he could face a maximum sentence of 21 years in jail, authorities say.

"He is prepared to testify in open court about his motives and why he committed the actions he has admitted to," Geir Lippestad, Breivik's defense attorney, told reporters Sunday.

Earlier on Saturday, Lippestad said Breivik "has admitted it was atrocious to have performed these actions, but in his own head, it was necessary."

Norwegian police have confirmed Breivik's admission and said he claimed to have acted alone.

"He has admitted that he was responsible for the bomb attack and for the killing of people on Utoeya island," a police spokesman told a press conference in Oslo on Sunday.

Police said Breivik did not resist when armed officers arrested him on the tiny holiday island of Utoeya 40 km west of Oslo.

By that time, he had killed 86 people, mostly teenagers attending a summer camp for the youth wing of Norway's ruling Labor Party, in a shooting spree that lasted about 90 minutes, according to eye witnesses.


Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program