CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

U.S., South Korea to begin annual joint war games

08-16-2011 09:05 BJT

WASHINGTON, Aug. 15 (Xinhua) -- The United States and South Korea will begin on Tuesday their annual joint military drill, which the U.S. said is routine and defense-oriented.

Tens of thousands of U.S. and South Korean troops are expected to join the 10-day Ulchi Freedom Guardian (UFG) exercise, conducted annually by the Republic of Korea-United States Combined Forces Command, according to the American Forces Press Service.

"Ulchi Freedom Guardian is designed to enhance the interoperability of the United States and Republic of Korea military forces while enhancing the combat readiness of the alliance," said Army Gen. James Thurman, Combined Forces Command commander.

The UFG has been an annual event since 1975. Some 28,500 U.S. troops have been stationed in South Korea since the 1950-53 Korean War ended with an armistice that left the two Koreas technically at war.

The military of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has called on the United States and South Korea to cancel the UFG exercise, the official KCNA news agency reported earlier this month.

The war games are part of the "hysteria for a war of aggression " against the DPRK and would be "all-out nuclear war maneuvers, the KCNA quoted the Panmunjom Mission of the Korean People's Army (KPA) as saying in an open letter.

Editor:Wang Xiaomei |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more
Hot Stories more

Embassy: 2 Chinese nationals aboard capsized S Korean ship

The Chinese embassy in Seoul has confirmed two Chinese citizens were on board the ferry. Staff from the embassy has visited their families. Of the ferry’s 475 passengers, 9 have been confirmed dead. 179 people have been rescued and 287 are still missing.

Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines

Eight people were killed and over a dozen others were injured when a wayward truck plowed to several vehicles along a national road in this southern Philippine city over the weekend, police said Sunday.

Fmr Egyptian president accused of ordering killing of activists

Morsi is accused of ordering the killing of activists on December 5th 2012. The brief session was televised, but some Egyptians are beginning to lose interest in the drawn out trial.

More Video News

Choose TV Program