HAVANA, Jan. 5 (Xinhua) -- Cuba's former president, Fidel Castro, posted a signed article Thursday on the country's official Cubadebate website in what is being seen as a move to quash recent rumors he was dead.
In his new article, Castro cautioned the world against the many dangers and risks it was facing, including nuclear war and climate change, which the former leader believed were critical and were moving increasingly far from a solution.
Social website Twitter carried claims three days ago that the Cuban News Agency had verified Castro's death and an official statement was pending.
As the rumors spread, Cubadebate published an article Wednesday to deny what it said was a false report. It said Twitter had already been politicized and turned into a tool to help spread rumors.
According to the article, it was not the first time Twitter had run a false story claiming Castro's death.
Aged 85, Fidel Castro underwent intestinal surgery in 2006 and handed over power in the same year to his brother, Raul, who then was the first vice president of Cuba's Council of State.
Since then, the former leader, who rarely makes public appearances, has regularly published comments on major international affairs via the official media.