- CNTV English - CCTV News

Chinese embassy confirms release of fishing boat seized by Somali pirates

07-19-2012 10:10 BJT

DAR ES SALAAM, July 18 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese embassy in Tanzania confirmed Wednesday that a Taiwanese fishing boat had been freed after being taken hostage by Somali pirates for nearly 19 months.

All the 26 crew members -- 13 people from the Chinese mainland, one from Taiwan, and 12 Vietnamese -- have been released and were being escorted by a Chinese navy ship to the port of Dar es Salaam, an embassy counsellor said.

Two teams of government officials from China's Anhui province and Henan province will arrive in Tanzania on Friday to help the freed fishermen return home.

The "FV Shiuh Fu No. 1" trawler was seized by Somali pirates on Dec. 25, 2010 off the Madagascar coast and then forced to Somalia.

Editor:James |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program