ABIDJAN, July 23 (Xinhua) -- The United Nations Operation in Cote d'Ivoire (ONUCI) and the Cote d'Ivoire Republican Forces (FRCI) have decided to put in place emergency security measures to avert any eventuality after attacks that left 11 people dead in the western town of Duekoue.
The FRCI chief of general staff general Soumaila Bakayoko said a joint command post had been put in place to coordinate actions on the ground.
"Security will be provided at three levels. The first security cordon will be provided by the UN peace keepers, the second by a joint unit and the third by the Cote d'Ivoire soldiers, the police and the gendarmerie," the army chief said when he spoke on Sunday evening on the national television.
Bakayoko also said that there will be patrols across the entire Duekoue locality to guarantee the safety of the population.
The senior military officer said that the rapid intervention unit will also be reinforced and at the same time guaranteed that there will be escorts for humanitarian workers who want to assist the displaced persons who want to return to their villages.
The town of Duekoue experienced violent incidents on Thursday and Friday last week when five people were killed in a district that is mainly occupied by people from Malinke tribe.
The Malinke youths retaliated by going to another camp which mainly has people from the We tribe, killing six people.
The UN condemned the violence and asked the Cote d'Ivoire authorities to put in place measures that will guarantee security for the people and their properties.