NEW DELHI, Aug. 19 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan High Commission officials here on Sunday rejected India's charges that it has masterminded a cyberwar with morphed pictures of Assam and Myanmar violence to trigger a massive exodus of northeastern citizens from other states.
Local media quoted unnamed sources at the Pakistan High Commission in Delhi as such remarks by Indian officials and media "only widen the trust deficit between the two countries" and India should start to solve its own problems instead of mudslinging.
"Instead of indulging in mud-slinging and blame game, it's time for India to address its internal issues...Such comments only widen the trust deficit," Indo-Asian News Service quoted unnamed sources of Pakistan High Commission as saying.
Indian government officials Saturday said the bulk SMSes and MMSes that triggered panic among the northeastern people had been traced to Pakistan and a protest would be lodged with Islamabad.
"Pakistan is trying to create trouble by inciting people... This exposes its attempt at cyber warfare against India," said Indian Home Secretary R.K. Singh.
Tens of thousands of people from northeast India have fled some major cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune and Mumbai over the past several years over rumors of imminent attacks from Muslims after Ramadan.
The rumors came after communal violence killed 78 in the northeast Indian state of Assam in fighting between Muslims and local Bodo people.