- CNTV English - CCTV News

8 confirmed dead after ferry sinking in east China

08-20-2012 14:45 BJT

HEFEI, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- Eight people are now confirmed dead with rescuers searching for five others who are still missing after a ferry sank in the Yangtze River in east China last week.

The latest death count was announced by the State Administration of Work Safety on its website on Monday.

The ferry carrying 22 people and 10 vehicles sank in a Yangtze section in Ma'anshan City, Anhui province on Aug. 16. Nine people have so far survived.

The wreckage of the ship was salvaged on Sunday but the cause of the accident has not yet been determined.

Related stories

Editor:James |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program