CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

New Zealand troops to remain in Afghanistan: PM

08-20-2012 14:45 BJT

WELLINGTON, Aug. 20 (Xinhua) -- New Zealand Prime Minister John Key said Monday that New Zealand troops would remain in Afghanistan until next year, despite the deaths of five soldiers so far this month.

Key was speaking at a press conference after a young medic became the first New Zealand woman soldier to die in Afghanistan when she and two male colleagues were killed by a roadside bomb Sunday.

The New Zealand Defence Force Monday named the three members of the New Zealand Provincial Reconstruction Team who died when their vehicle was blasted by an improvised explosive device (IED) in the northeast of Bamyan Province.

They were medic Lance Corporal Jacinda Baker, 26, and infantry troops Corporal Luke Tamatea, 31, and Private Richard Harris, 21.

All three were serving with the 2nd/1st Battalion Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment.

The troops were traveling in the last vehicle in a convoy northwest of Do Abe on the road to Romero, when it was hit by the blast at about 9:20 a.m. Sunday Afghanistan time.

The remaining personnel in the patrol secured the location and waited for support, said an NZDF statement.

Their deaths followed those of two other members of the provincial reconstruction team in an insurgent attack on Aug. 4 and they bring the total number of New Zealand troops killed in Afghanistan to 10.

Radio New Zealand reported that Key said New Zealand soldiers had been in Bamyan since 2003 and it was highly likely that troops would be brought home about April next year.

New Zealand had to rely on another coalition partner for logistical support and at the moment those arrangements meant April was the most likely date, he said.

Key told Radio New Zealand earlier Monday that "to cut and run now would not honor those deaths" and he thought the families of those who had died in Afghanistan would be shocked if New Zealand pulled out now.

Key said there had been increased insurgent activity in the northeast of Bamyan Province where a new bomb-maker had been working.

He told Radio New Zealand that New Zealand forces have been targeting him for some time and Sunday's deadly blast might be linked to his work.

Chief of the New Zealand Defence Force, Lieutenant General Rhys Jones, said in a statement that the NZDF remained committed to ensuring a smooth and measured handover of responsibility to Afghan authorities.

"New Zealand should be proud of our contribution in Bamyan, and so too the families of those who have been killed in the service of New Zealand in Afghanistan. Their sacrifice has not been in vain," he said.

"As a result of the security that the Provincial Reconstruction Team provides significant progress has been made and is clearly visible in the classrooms built; the wells and village water supplies hooked up; the roads that have been paved; the bridges and flood protection constructed; and in the hospitals refurbished. "

 

 

Editor:James |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program