CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

21 dead in Xinjiang terrorist clash

04-24-2013 15:45 BJT

URUMQI, April 24 (Xinhua) -- A violent clash between suspected terrorists and authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has left 21 people dead, including 15 community workers and police officers and six of the suspects, local authorities said on Wednesday.

The attacks happened around Tuesday noon in a town of Bachu County, Kashgar Prefecture, some 1,200 km southwest of Urumqi, regional capital of Xinjiang.

Three community workers discovered suspicious individuals and knives in the home of a local resident. They then reported the situation to their supervisors via phone, but were seized by the suspects who had been hiding in the house.

Police officers and community officials from the township rushed to the scene, but were attacked and killed by the suspects, who also killed the three community workers they had seized earlier and burned the house.

Other police officers who arrived at the scene shot the suspects and got the situation under control.

Two other people from the authorities were also injured in the clash, and eight terrorist suspects were captured.

An initial investigation has indicated that the suspects are all terrorists who were planning on violent attacks.

Further investigation into the case is under way.

Editor:Liu Zhaofu |Source: Xinhua

Hot Videos view more
Hot Stories more

Embassy: 2 Chinese nationals aboard capsized S Korean ship

The Chinese embassy in Seoul has confirmed two Chinese citizens were on board the ferry. Staff from the embassy has visited their families. Of the ferry’s 475 passengers, 9 have been confirmed dead. 179 people have been rescued and 287 are still missing.

Eight dead, 14 hurt in fatal highway accident in S. Philippines

Eight people were killed and over a dozen others were injured when a wayward truck plowed to several vehicles along a national road in this southern Philippine city over the weekend, police said Sunday.

Fmr Egyptian president accused of ordering killing of activists

Morsi is accused of ordering the killing of activists on December 5th 2012. The brief session was televised, but some Egyptians are beginning to lose interest in the drawn out trial.

More Video News

Choose TV Program