Edition: English Asia Pacific Africa Europe | Español Français العربية Pусский | 中文简体 中文繁体
Homepage > World Video

15 bodies recovered from Luhansk refugee convoy

CCTV.com

08-20-2014 10:18 BJT

A Ukrainian military spokesman says fighting is still taking place in the centre of Luhansk in eastern Ukraine, between government troops and anti-government forces who have held the town since April. 

The spokesman for Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council, Andriy Lysenko, told journalists that one district of the town has been retaken. At least one Ukrainian soldier was killed and 28 others wounded over the last 24 hours. 

On Monday morning, a refugee convoy travelling from Luhansk came under rocket and mortar fire. The spokesman said the bodies of 15 civilians had been recovered as of Monday night, but Ukrainian forces were prevented by fighting from recovering other casualties. Ukrainian officials blamed anti-government forces. 

But Andrei Purgin, the deputy prime minister of the self-proclaimed "Donetsk People’s Republic," denied the accusation, insisting that the anti-government forces were unable to send mortar and rocket launchers to the remote area.

Follow us on

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Instagram

  • Please scan the QR Code to follow us on Wechat

We Recommend

  • World Heritage China Part 29
  • Glamorous Indonesia Part 2
  • Along the Coast Part 41
  • Glamorous Indonesia Part 1
  • Dreams and the business reality
  • Philippines' beauty pageant obsession
  • China's love for basketball
  • Box office online
  • Jixi: Land of luminaries II