Watch VideoPlay Video
Talks between the US-led United Nations Command and the DPRK have been postponed at the request of Pyongyang.
The meeting was originally scheduled for Tuesday morning local time, to discuss the sinking of a South Korean warship.
It would have been the first meeting involving Pyongyang to discuss the sinking. The UN Command says DPRK military authorities requested the delay, citing what they call "administrative reasons". A new meeting time was not immediately proposed.
The announcement to hold the meeting came on Friday, three days after the UN Security Council approved a statement that condemned the March sinking. But the statement stopped short of directly blaming Pyongyang.
An international investigation concluded in May that the DPRK torpedoed the vessel near the inter-Korean sea border, killing 46 sailors. Pyongyang
flatly denies responsibility, accusing the South of a fabrication for political gain.
Late last month, the UN Command proposed general-level talks with the DPRK to discuss the sinking. Pyongyang first rejected the offer, criticizing the US for trying to meddle in inter-Korean affairs under the name of the UN.
But the DPRK changed its position later and proposed the colonel-level talks, after Seoul rejected its proposal to send a military team to inspect the sunken ship.
Pyongyang says the proposal is to prove the truth behind the "Cheonan" case in an objective, scientific and fair way. But it adds that it still regards the opening of the inter-Korean talks as the best way to settle the issue.