Watch VideoPlay Video
Four people have been killed and 12 wounded after a roadside bomb struck a shuttle bus carrying military personnel in Istanbul. The city's governor, Huseyin Avni Mutlu, says three of those killed were sergeants and the fourth victim was the 17- year-old daughter of an officer.
The governor says two people are in a critical condition but the rest of the wounded did not suffer serious injuries. The remotely-controlled device was detonated early Tuesday near a military barracks in Halkali district in Istanbul's European quarter. So far, no one has claimed responsibility. It's unknown how many passengers were on the bus or how many of them were military personnel. The blast comes a day after Turkish military forces began a major deployment of troops and elite forces along the border with Iraq to tackle PKK rebels.
|Policemen inspect the wreckage of a military bus in Istanbul. A |
roadside bomb blew up a bus carrying military families in Istanbul,
killing three soldiers and a girl, as Kurdish rebels stepped up their
separatist attacks(AFP/Bulent Kilic)