Watch VideoPlay Video
The outcome of the first minister-level talks between India and Pakistan after the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks has produced one thing: an agreement to talk again. India insists that Pakistan's deeper look into the incident is the premise of bilateral talks.
Meanwhile, Pakistan's foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has warned that India is not 'fully mentally prepared' for such talks and focuses too much on the attacks.
Sometimes, people talk but do not communicate.
This seems to be the case with the two foreign ministers of India and Pakistan.
After Thursday's meeting in Islamabad, the Indian foreign minister said Pakistan should promise not to allow its territory to be the hotbed of terrorism against India. But he did admit that he had won his counterpart's assurance of further investigation into the Mumbai attacks.
S.M. Krishna, Indian foreign minister, said, "He also assured me that the investigations in the Mumbai terrorist attack case, taking into account the additional information coming out of the recent interrogation of David Coleman Headley and provided by our home minister during his visit to Pakistan last month, would be pursued vigorously to unravel the full conspiracy and bring all the perpetrators of that horrific crime to justice."
Krishna also talked about the invitation he extended to his Pakistani counterpart to visit India to carry forward the dialogue.
In Islamabad, Pakistani foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi admitted the discussion was hampered by New Dehli's reluctance to discuss issues of concern to Pakistan. He also said Krishna concentrated too heavily on issues related to the Mumbai attacks.
Shah Mahmood Qureshi, Pakistan's foreign minister, said, "Jammu and Kashmir, peace and security, Siachen glacier and the core issues of Pakistan, if they keep the dialogue dates of these issues vague, it is beyond me."
India has insisted that no real improvement in the relationship can take place until Pakistan demonstrates its determination to crack down on Lashkar-e-Taiba, the militant group allegedly behind the Mumbai attacks.
Pakistan helped establish Lashkar-e-Taiba about 20 years ago to pressure India over the issue concerning the disputed Kashmir. The government banned the group in 2002 following US pressure.
Pakistan has bristled at criticism it is not doing enough against terrorism, saying it has already put seven Mumbai suspects on trial. The country notes it needs more evidence from Indian investigators so that it can go further.