Watch VideoPlay Video
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III delivered his first State of the Nation address. His speech comes less than a month after he took oath as the 15th President of the Philippines.
Speaking at the opening of the 15th Congress, Aquino alleges the administration of the former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo left not only a huge fiscal deficit, but depleted public coffers and heavily indebted state-owned corporations.
He says he feels the weight of his responsibility. He claims his government will stop wasting public money in infrastructure and other government deals.
Ahead of his address, an opinion poll shows an overwhelming majority of Filipinos trust Aquino and the officials he appointed in his cabinet.
- Philippine gov't hopes 15th Congress to pass Aquino's priority measures 2010-07-26
- U.S. hopes for improved human rights record under Aquino 2010-07-21
- Philippine president appoints banker to head state pension fund GSIS 2010-07-15
- Aquino promises to battle corruption 2010-06-30
- Philippines' Aquino's political agenda 2010-06-30