Watch VideoPlay Video
Philippine President Benigno Aquino is taking responsibility over the failed attempt to save the lives of the eight Hong Kong residents who were held hostage by a dismissed police officer.
Local media report the president is claiming he had direct supervision of the Philippine National Police when the hostage incident was taking place.
He says the Department of the Interior and Local Government, the office in charge of the country's police force, was asked to concentrate on something else.
Aquino says he was responsible for everything that happened. The country's police force is under fire because of its handling of the hostage situation August 23rd that resulted in the death of eight Hong Kong tourists.
- Manila hostage killings hurt Philippine tourism 2010-09-03
- Memorial service held in Manila for Hong Kong hostage victims 2010-08-31
- Studio interview: P'pines hostage's impact on Hong Kong residents 2010-08-31
- HK, Philippines to exchange probe info on hostage crisis 2010-08-28
- All Hong Kong hostage crisis survivors and victims come home: official 2010-08-27