Watch VideoPlay Video
Australian opposition leader, Tony Abbott, says he is dismayed with the decision made by independents to support a minority Labor government.
Abbott expressed disappointment that the Coalition party had won more votes and more seats, but didn't have the opportunity to form a government. He congratulated Julia Gillard on winning the election, and said he hopes she can be an effective Prime Minister in this new term of parliament. Abbott also thanked his fellow party members and the 5 and a half million Australians who voted for his party.
- Australian Labor Party wins enough seats to form new gov't 2010-09-07
- Australian Labor party will continue in office: political expert 2010-09-06
- Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard gains support of the Green 2010-09-01
- Australian election: Gillard and Abbott meet independent lawmakers 2010-08-25
- Australian opposition vows to form stable minority government 2010-08-24