CCTV.com - CNTV English - CCTV News

NTC forces corner Gaddafi loyalists in Sirte

10-11-2011 08:24 BJT Special Report: Libya in Post-Gaddafi Era |

Related Reading: 

TRIPOLI, Oct. 10 (Xinhua) -- Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC) fighters have made major progress into Sirte, the home city of fallen leader Muammar Gaddafi, the pan-Arab Al- Jazeera TV reported Monday.

Despite stiff resistance from Gaddafi loyalists, NTC fighters wrested control of the Ouagadougou conference center, which is believed to have housed the command center of Gaddafi's forces and was protected by a large number of snipers.

Soldiers of Libya's National Transitional Council (NTC) fire at Gaddafi loyalists in Bani Walid, Libya, Oct. 10, 2011. (Xinhua/Hamza Turkia)

The NTC fighters now said they have something like 70 percent of Sirte under their control. But the remaining 30 percent poses a problem, because it is going to entail street fighting.

The NTC fighters also launched a major offensive on Bani Walid, another town southeast of capital Tripoli still controlled by Gaddafi forces.

The battle for Sirte has been difficult because Gaddafi loyalists have been using snipers and advanced weapons such as machine guns, according to the revolutionary fighters.

Gaddafi is still on the run, though the NTC control most of the North African country.

 

Editor:James |Source: CNTV

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program