Watch VideoPlay Video
Insulting a coach, failing to win a World Cup game, and a training ground bust up and walk out is how many will remember France's World Cup in South Africa. The main protagonists in the mutinous scenes have now been handed out their punishments, and it was pretty much the Gullotine for Striker nicholas Anelka.
Anelka was sent home from South Africa following a dressing room row with former manager Raymond Domenech. That prompted the entire team to boycott a training session on June 20, earning the French team international condemnation. The entire 23-man squad returned home a few days later having failed to make it into the knock out stages of the tournament. The players' actions - appalled the French public and received condemnation from President Nicolas Sarkozy. Amongst the staff members attending this week's hearing were Jean-Louis Valentin. The former team director resigned his position in disgust after the players walked out of the training session.
Former Team director Jean-Louis Valentin said, "Justice, yes but mainly I think that we need to overcome what happened with the idea that it can't happen ever again."
Jean Mazzella, who headed the disciplinary committee said the decision reached had been unanimous.
Disciplinary committee chairman Jean Mazzella said, "It's always hard to punish players,The players are a little crestfallen with what happened. They didn't think that it would have taken such proportions. That's certain. And The boys really need the spirit of their shirts, the spirit of the French team. They should think of all the young people."
The FFF banned Franck Ribery for three games and Jeremy Toulalan for one. Eric Abidal, who was also involved in Tuesday's disciplinary hearing, escaped without sanction.