Watch VideoPlay Video
The tournament favorite United States faced Angola in a bid to reach the quarterfinals, and Russia looked to advance against New Zealand.
- Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant made some noise early. He helped the American take a 9-4 lead.
- But Angola would try to keep it close in the first quarter. Joaquim Gomes lands a three-pointer to make it a 5 point game.
- The American attack was highlighted by the usual fast break action. Durant finished strong to create a 26-9 US lead.
|United States faced Angola in a bid to reach the quarterfinals.|
- Second quarter:
- Then it was a matter of maintaining the advantage...Chauncey Billups sinks a three. The USA went up by 27 points at 55-28.
- Billups set up Durant for another three-pointer. It was 65-38 at halftime, the Americans still ahead by 27 over Angola.
- Gomes provided another Angolan highlight from long range. The Angolans tried to narrow the advantage bit-by-bit in the second half.
- They followed up a miss with an offensive rebound score. Felizardo Ambrosio came up with the second-chance points but he could only bring the lead down to 32 points.
- Andre Iguodola made it 83-49 with a one handed slam. The USA sailed smoothly into the fourth and final quarter in Istanbul.