- CNTV English - CCTV News

UEFA Champions League: Marseille edge Inter, reach last 8

03-14-2012 16:21 BJT

Watch Video

Play Video

At the legendary San Siro as Inter Milan hosted Olympique Marseille on Tuesday night, with Inter mired in a dismal run. Inter, picking up just their first win in 10 matches in all competitions on Friday. The Italians would need to bounce back from their 1-0 defeat in the first leg at Marseille, while the French side eyed their first appearance in the Champions League last eight since winning the trophy in 1993.

Inter Milan would face a tough task without an away goal in the first leg two weeks ago.

The Italians pushed hard for an equalizer from the start. They had the first solid chances in front of an apprehensive home crowd. But Marseille keeper, Steve Mandanda was there to shut the door, somehow saving Wesley Sneijder's close-range effort. Inter coach, Claudio Ranieri looking worried at the situation.

The hosts laid siege to the visitors goal later on. But Diego Milito's chested effort was also brilliantly blocked by Mandanda.

Against a string of threats from the hosts, the French side increased the pressure after the break. Souleymane Diawara's header almost crept in from the near post.

Olympique Marseille Brandao celebrates after scoring against Inter Milan
during their Champions League round of 16 second leg soccer match at Giuseppe
Meazza stadium in Milan March 13, 2012.

As Marseille strived for a goal to settle the matters out, Inter finally breached the visitors' defence 15 minutes from time. With a string of threats in the box, Milito finally prodded home from close range to level the score at 1-1 on aggregate.

But their hopes of a comeback were dashed in the second minute of injury time. Substitute Brandao turned on a long ball and confidently finished it off. Marseille leading 2-1 on aggregate. The French club, almost secured a berth in the quarter finals as Inter would need two more goals to survive.

The 2010 European Champions refused to give in late on. Giampaolo Pazzini was fouled in the box, which had keeper Mandanda sent off for earning his second yellow. And Pazzini pulled one back with the penalty. However, the final score would be 2-2 as Marseille edged out Inter on away goal difference to move on to the quarter-final round.

Didier Deschamps, Olympique Marseille Coach, said, "We had prepared for the match in this way. I had to make difficult decisions, leaving out some players but we started well even if at the beginning we were behind and we were suffering a bit before our game took off. After, we had good possession of the ball, we did not create many tries but we were close. We showed ourselves to be present and in terms of ball possession I think it was about 50-50 percent. We made some nice moves even if we needed to be a bit more decisive."


Editor:Liu Fang |Source: CNTV.CN

Hot Videos view more

The celebrations are still continuing as the victorious coach, Joachim Loew, has been honored for his achievement in his hometown of Freiburg.
Germany coach Loew honored in hometown of Freiburg

Chinese men´s national team continued its preparations for next year´s Asian Cup, as they managed a one-all draw against visitors Jordan during a football friendly in Harbin, the capital city of Northeast China´s Heilongjiang Province.
China held to 1-1 draw by Jordan

The defending world champs came into the contest with a perfect 6-and-oh record, but they would be in for a tough first half before opening things up in the second.
USA beat Slovenia 119-76 in quarter-finals

Hot Stories more

UK authorities believe killer of James Foley is a British national

Across the UK the hunt is on for James Foley’s killer, who authorities believe is a British national. As Richard Bestic reports from London, Prime Minister David Cameron cut short his summer break to lead his government’s response.

Israeli war jets renews Gaza strike as truce talks stalled

Three Palestinians were killed and 40 others wounded in the intensive Israeli war jets´ airstrikes on the Gaza city on Tuesday night, shortly before an end of a 24-hour ceasefire in the Gaza Strip,

Missouri police arrest dozens after violent night

As the protests in the town of Ferguson, Missouri turned violent with police facing ´heavy gunfire´ from some ´criminal elements´, cops fired tear gas, stun grenades and arrested 31 demonstrators on Monday night.

Picture in news more

More Video News

Choose TV Program