Watch VideoPlay Video
This week, the US began to pullout its last combat troops from Iraq. So now the combat mission in Iraq is over. On another military front, the US is set to also withdraw troops from Afghanistan.
Thursday was the National Day of Afghanistan. 91 years ago, the country gained independence. Depsite that, the nation is still dependent on foreign powers to keep order.
Recent casualties intensified the debate over the Obama administration's plan to begin withdrawing US military forces next summer and highlighted reservations among military commanders over a rigid timeline.
- Afghanistan marks National Pavilion Day at Shanghai World Expo 2010-08-20
- Afghanistan marks 91st Independence Day 2010-08-19
- How the war has changed Afghanistan 2010-08-19
- Studio interview: Reconstruction efforts in Afghanistan 2010-08-19
- Petraeus says withdrawal from Afghanistan depends on situation on ground 2010-08-14
- UN releases report on Afghanistan 2010-08-11